What can be done to reduce the risk?
- Cleaning their own teeth well, to reduce the amount of plaque (which contains bacteria) in their mouths
- Avoiding sugary snacks and drinks between meals which can lead to decay
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-up and getting any cavities filled
- Avoiding sharing items such as food, spoons, cups and toothbrushes with their baby
- Kissing the baby on their cheek, rather than the mouth
As much as we may want to hug and kiss the baby, especially newborns, share and exchange feeding material and other things, it is best to restrain or sanitize everything before use. Besides making them susceptible to dental infection they can also be exposed to other types of oral infections and ailments that may be serious or need a long period of recovery.